Historic Phillipsburg


 
   
Client: Town of Phillipsburg
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
 
Phillipsburg Union Station is a 2-1/2 story, 3-bay Prairie-style brick building constructed in 1913 and opened for passenger service in 1914. The Station is signifi cant for its association with two major railroad lines in New Jersey: the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad (DL&W) and the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ). The Station is representative of the early twentieth century period of major expansion for both rail lines, as well as for its continuous use until 1961 as the Phillipsburg passenger station.
Architecturally, the station is signifi cant as an unusual example of a union station and its unusual representation of early twentieth century Prairie style of architecture.

LWDMR prepared a Preservation Plan and Historic Register Nomination for submission to the New Jersey State Historic Office for Preservation, as well as providing strategies for restoration and rehabilitation. The station will be restored and utilized as a National Railway Museum, contributing to the wealth of resources found within the Town of Phillipsburg, NJ.

LWDMR has completed the Needs Assessment & Historic Structures Report for the historic Phillipsburg Union Signal Tower. Future work will include preparation of Construction Drawings for the Restoration of the 2 story building and Preservation of all interior rooms and equipment including the Control and Electric Rooms which will be opened to the public as part of the historic transportation exhibit. Site Design will also be provided incorporating pedestrian paths, site safety and handicapped accessibility. The Tower will be part of the multi-exhibit, outdoor transportation heritage corridor displaying key aspects of New Jersey
transportation history.

LWDMR is currently preparing conceptual site plan documents and restoration drawings of the historic Morris Canal Arch &
rock covered Berm. The arch was the stop gate that allowed canal boats to pass between the Delaware River and the Morris Canal. Restoration of the 25 foot high massive stone structure includes testing and analyzing deteriorated mortar and determining locations of missing or loose stonework. LWDMR will also analyze the surrounding site to determine pedestrian paths, site safety, handicapped accessibility and viewing opportunities. This significant transportation structure will be part of a multi-exhibit, outdoor transportation heritage corridor displaying key aspects of New Jersey transportation history.